IPv6 Test Page

I’ve just created a subdomain which is only accessible with working IPv6 name resolution and working v6 connection.

You can use this to check that your connection is working and find out what your IPv6 IP address is.

https://ipv6.retrop.co.uk

New music – remixes and some of my own stuff

Hey all.

It’s been a while since I’ve shown this blog any love but it’s time to change that and I want to share some of my new creations with you.

Firstly I’ve taken part in a few remix competitions.

Trying to get my feet wet using vocals as it’s something I’ve ignored largely until now and remix competitions seem the perfect chance to get your hands on some well recorded vocal stems legally.

First up, “Mad Mad World” by Bonnie McKee.  Really great vocal track and was a pleasure to work with.

Uplifting ravey arpeggios and chilled out vibe.

Next up was a remix of a song called “Water Me Down” by Mothica.

Another great set of vocal stems to work with but I missed the submission deadline with a mix up on timezones. Bummer.

I’ve still be working on my own instrumental stuff too and here’s one from earlier this year.

It’s called “That time when” and is a chilled out 99 bpm synth noodle.

And some more…

 

 

 

PySteamGameMover – simple python app to move steam games from one library to another

Screen shot of Steam Game mover menu screen
Screen shot of Steam Game mover menu screen

I made this simple Python program for Windows which I’ve released under the GNU public licence to fill a gap missing in Steam, the ability to move an individual game from one steam library to another.

Close Steam down, point this script at your old and new steam libraries, choose the game you want to move from the list and hey presto your game is in the new location.

Great for if you need to free up space on your drive but you don’t want to move your entire library to another location.

Use this at your own risk, it’s only been tested on my machine and I’ve only covered a few things that could go wrong.

Any assistance in improving the quality of the code would also be greatly appreciated.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/pysteamgamemover/

Download steam-gamemove.py if you already have Python 3.5+ installed, if not download the precompiled version at /dist/steam-gamemover-v0-1.zip.

You may need to download and install the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 (https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=48145) if you wish to run the precompiled version on Windows prior to Windows 10.

Download pySteamGameMover

New Akai MPC 2500 and a few live jam videos

I picked up a second hand Akai  MPC 2500 a few ago and after tricking it out with the full 128mb of ram, a 40gb hard drive and jjosxl I’ve been having great fun breaking my musical shackles from the computer.

Ok, so the MPC is a computer but the hands on tactile feel make the whole experience much different and I’ve found the learning curve minimal given I have a strong background in music technology although I’m sure I still have much to learn as jjosxl seems to be quite deep.

Here are a few tracks I’ve uploaded to Youtube from the last week or two staring the Akai MPC 2500, Korg MS-20 Mini, Korg Volca Keys, Korg Electribe EMX1, Oberheim Matrix 1000, EMU E5000 Ultra, Roland TR-707 and a bit of delay and reverb.

Enjoy and please comment if you enjoyed them.

Repairing a CDJ (Numark NDX 200)

Here is a video I made while diagnosing and attempting to fix a problem with one of my gf’s old CDJ’s.

It turned out to be a very simple mechanical fix, watch the video below to see more.

Syncing the Korg Volca’s the DIY way. (part2) Adding some “swing”

I’ve updated the Arduino code from my previous post here to add a very crude form of swing to the Volca sync beat.

Unfortunately it can’t do real swing as the Volcas currently take 1/8th note sync signals and have 1/16th note sequencers.

The code just changes every other beat signal to vary by a set percentage. This can be positive, making the first two beats slower or negative making the first two beats faster.

You can see a demonstration here.

Syncing the Volca’s the DIY way. (Arduino & MCP4921 DAC)

Hello everyone.

I thought I’d share some experimentation I’ve been doing with the Arduino and a 12 bit dac (mcp4921).

I’d been looking for things I could do with it and one obvious thing that came to mind was creating a sync signal for the Volca’s.

I analysed the output of the sync signal from the SQ-1 as best I could with a multimeter and could see that the signal was peaking around 0.32 volts.

Now if I could get the dac to output a voltage somewhere in that range at a regular interval I’d be able to control the Volca’s tempo from the Arduino.

The mcp4921 connects to the Arduino via SPI. Here I’m using pins 10 (CS to dac pin 2), 11 (SDI/MOSI to dac pin 4) & 13 (CLK to dac pin 3).

The rest of the dac pins are configured as follows;

pin 1 to Arduino +5v

pin 5 to Arduino ground

pin 6 Voltage reference to Arduino +5v

pin 7 to Arduino ground

pin 8 dac output to positive on headphone jack

 

Arduino & MCP4921 DAC Syncer for Korg Volca's
Arduino & MCP4921 DAC Syncer for Korg Volca’s

Arduino & MCP4921 DAC Syncer for Korg Volca's
Arduino & MCP4921 DAC Syncer for Korg Volca’s

You can download the Arduino sketch [here]

IPFS hash: QmP92HoznfndYv6Wh9zJPkWP2uvHy9zV5Tmr7QZa1rtPUk

The sketch employs a delay between setting the signal high and low which is set by the value of the variable tempo_delay. The delay is in ms and converting from bpm to the correct ms delay is simply as case of using the following formula. tempo_delay = (60,000 / BPM) /2.

Here are some rough values to get you started.

80 bpm = 376
90 bpm = 334
120 bpm = 250
126 bpm = 238